Block Editor Options
There are several options available to help customise how the Block Editor displays. These options can be found under the Options icon in the top-right corner of the page () when editing a Page or Post.
The Options menu provides the following options:
- Top Toolbar – Enabling this option will display the Block Toolbar at the top of the page, rather than just above each individual block.
- Spotlight Mode – Enabling this option will dim all the blocks on the page except for the currently selected block, making it easier to focus on just that block.
- Fullscreen Mode – Enabling this option will hide the top admin bar and the left-hand menu. This is similar to the Distraction-free writing mode that was available in the old Classic Editor.
- Visual Editor – This option is enabled by default and will show your content as individual blocks.
- Code Editor – Enabling this option will turn off the Visual Editor and instead, display the html that makes up your content. It’s important to note that whilst there is still HTML in your underlying content, the new Block editor also wraps each individual section of your content within HTML comment tags. It uses these comment tags to differentiate the various types of blocks your content is contained within. So, while you can still edit your HTML using the Code Editor view within the Block Editor, please take extra caution not to remove or change any of the HTML comments surrounding your content. Doing so, will cause one or more of your blocks to not display correctly once you switch back to the Visual Editor mode, and may possibly even cause you to lose content.
- Block Manager – This option allows you to disable individual blocks or entire block panels. This stops them from being displayed within the Block Inserter. Disabling a block will only stop yourself from seeing the block. It won’t disable it for any other user on the site.
- Manage All Reusable Blocks – Clicking this option will exit you from the editor and present you with a list of all your Reusable blocks, which you can then Edit, Delete or Export to a file (which can then be imported to another site is so desired). A word of warning, you will not be prompted to save your content, even if it’s changed. You will be taken to your list of reusable block as soon as you click this option which could cause you to lose content if you don’t save your page first.
- Keyboard Shortcuts – Displays a list of the keyboard shortcuts that are available within the Block Editor.
- Welcome Guide – Displays a very short slideshow explaining what the Block Editor is
- Copy All Content – This option will copy all the content within the current Page or Post, to your clipboard.
- Help – As the Welcome Guide is not very detailed, the Help option provides a link to some external pages that give a more detailed explanation of how to use the Block Editor.
- Preferences – This option provides further options for customising how the Block Editor Displays. You can Turn off/on the Pre-publish Checks, the Inserter Help Panel and a number of other Panels, including several default Document Panels such as the Categories, Tags or Featured Image Panels.