To add a new Link, click on Add New link in the left hand navigation menu or the Add New button at the top of the page.
Fill in the blank fields and then click the Add Link button to add a new Link. Only the link’s web address and name (the text you want to display on your site as the link) are required fields.
- Name – The name of the link is what is actually displayed on your site
- Web Address – This is where the link points. Also called a URL, this is the destination, or the site you want to go to when you click the link.
- Description – (Optional) This is the description for your link. How the description is displayed on your site depends on which theme you use
- Categories – (Optional) Each Link can have one of more Categories associated with it. If you wish to add a new Category, simply click the + Add new Category link, type the new category name into the blank field that appears and then click the Add button. If no Categories are selected prior to saving, the Default Link Category will be assigned. The Default Link Category can be changed within your WordPress Settings.
- Target – Specifies how the link’s destination is displayed when someone clicks the link
- Link Relationship (XFN) – XFN stands for XHTML Friends Network. WordPress allows for the generation of XFN attributes automatically so you can show how you are related to the authors/owners of site to which you are linking. XFN tags are an effort to add meaning to the links. More information on Link Relationship can be found on the WordPress Codex
- Advanced – Allows for more advanced manipulation of your links. How these options affect your site will be dependent on the WordPress theme in use
To keep this link Private, click the Keep this link private checkbox, just above the Add link button. This will make the link invisible when the Links are displayed on your site.